Canadians will be rocking red shoes this September to celebrate FASD Awareness Month, and so will landmarks across Canada!
As a way to raise awareness about FASD, famous monuments, buildings, and landmark across the country will be lighting up red on September 9th. So far 27 monuments are on board, including places like the CN Tower and BC Place!
Red is used as the colour for FASD Awareness after RJ Formanek, the creator of Red Shoes Rock, stood on the national stage in his red shoes to talk about his disability. Every year, the FASD community wears red shoes during the month of September to show their support and raise awareness.
Landmarks Rocking Red
Here is the full list of the buildings and landmarks that will be lit up this month:
- Calgary Tower, Calgary, AB
- High Level Bridge, Edmonton, AB
- World’s Largest Tee Pee in Medicine Hat Alberta, Medicine Hat, AB
- Centre 2000, Grand Prairie, AB
- BC Place, Vancouver, BC
- Vancouver City Hall, Vancouver, BC
- Vancouver Convention Centre, Vancouver, BC
- Burrard Street Bridge, Vancouver, BC
- Science World, Vancouver, BC
- Various locations, Coquitlam, BC
- 3D Winnipeg Sign, Winnipeg, MB
- Manitoba Legislative Building, Winnipeg, MB
- The Selkirk Water Tower, Selkirk, MB
- Island Park Bridge, Portage la Prairie, MB
- CN Tower, Toronto, ON
- Niagara Falls, Niagara, ON
- Peace Bridge, Niagara Falls, ON
- Kingston City Hall & Springer Market Square, Kingston, ON
- Riverwalk Commons & Fred A. Lundy Bridge, Newmarket, ON
- Welland Bridge 13, Welland, ON
- Seaway International Bridge Pier, Cornwall, ON
- Timmins Sign – Timmins Musem, Timmins, ON
- La Tour de Montréal (Montréal Tower), Montreal, QC
Prince Edward Island
- Charlottetown City Hall, Charlottetown, PE
- Halifax City Hall, Halifax, NS
- Legislative Assembly Building, Fredericton, NB
- Mac the Moose, Moose Jaw, SK
Visit your local landmark
We encourage you to grab your family and family members and go see your local landmark light up red. Please note that some landmarks won’t be lighting up red on September 9th but are still participating on other days. Check out our website for the full list and details of locations lighting up. If you are visiting these locations in person, please ensure that you follow all public health guidelines.
Be sure to take a picture and share it on social media with the hashtag #FASDMonth2022 & #RedShoesRock. Check out our list for details on all of the local monuments lighting up red across Canada.
Reach out to your local landmark
Thank you to all those community members who helped add new landmarks to this list! Want to see your local landmark light up for FASD Day? Reach out to landmarks and monuments in your local cities and ask them to light up their building on September 9th in recognition of FASD Awareness Day. We will be using the HEX colour: #FF0000. If you need more details, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Did you reach out to a location that agreed to rock red for FASD? Fill out this form and we will add it to our list!